Get the Inside on the Outside
Nova Scotia Outdoor Network is Nova Scotia's main resource to find outdoor spaces, events and skill building opportunities easily and quickly, so you can get out and enjoy the outdoors.
Community Driven - Community Sourced - Community Proud.
Nova Scotia Outdoor Network is a "Crowd Sourced" resource, meaning that you can help make the resource more complete by creating content. Sign up to add content and our outdoor gurus will give it a stamp of approval!
What the Outdoor Network Does
The Nova Scotia Outdoor Network, a project of Recreation Nova Scotia, is a coalition of the NS outdoor sector which will strengthen and support the outdoor community in our province through communication, sharing, collaboration and celebration. Its vision is an outdoor community meaningfully connected to one another, to resources and to learning and stewardship opportunities. Ultimately, the Outdoor Network aims to encourage Nova Scotians to get outside more often and participate in low-impact, nature-based activities.Its strategic directions include:
- Capacity Building
- Skill Building, Leadership and Education
- Professional Networking and Development
- Research and Evaluation
What we've been working on: Theory of Change
In June of 2020 we gathered thoughts and ideas, along with other information as part of our strategic planning, and used that information to develop a Theory of Change model to help guide the work of the Nova Scotia Outdoor Network (NSON) leadership team.
Please take a look at what we developed:
Key Priorities for 2021-22
- Annual Summit (Atlantic Outdoor Forum coming in 2022)
- Networking and development opportunities for practitioners
- Communications (including e-newsletter and social media)
Who Leads the Outdoor Network?
The Outdoor Network Leadership Team (NSON LT) – acts as a governance and sub operations committee of Recreation Nova Scotia, and oversees the Outdoor Network. The NSON LT is made up of outdoor professionals from across the province.
Current Members of the NSON LT include:
- Janet Barlow (Chair) - Hike Nova Scotia
- Sandra Fraser - Province of Nova Scotia - Department of Lands & Forestry
- Britt Vegsund - Municipality of the District of Lunenburg (RNS Board Member)
- Jordan Smith – Glooscap First Nation
- Alexi Rodriguez - MacKinnon Kayak Tours
- Jillian Griffin - Province of Nova Scotia (Regional Physical Activity Consultant)
- Anjeanette LeMay - Outdoor Education & Training Professional
With staff support from:
Graham Mounsey- Recreation Nova Scotia
Jacqualine Sommerfeld- Recreation Nova Scotia
Julia Stephenson - Province of Nova Scotia (Recreation Consultant)
Engage with the Outdoor Network
- Subscribe to our newsletter via the 'Join the Community' link below
- Contribute to our newsletter by e-mailing
- Learn about or submit upcoming events
- Connect with us on our social media channels